Hello everyone, I went back and finished up the final details for this shield! I'm really happy with the results, and now to move onto the next shield! But first, here's what I changed:
I exported out my normal map with all of the height detail added, and then imported the map back into Substance and replaced it as the base normals. I then rebaked my other maps which amplified the already present detail. I also changed the project config from DirectX to openGL which switched the engraving from popping out of the shield to indentations that I was aiming for from the beginning.
The first WIP of a series of shields yet to come, based on the concept art posted at the top! I'm having a ton of fun making these, I will continue to post here with any updates I make!